Premier League Referee Mike Dean Retiring at End of Season?

News, Sports

London – There’s news about referee Mike Dean . The British judge is rumored to be retiring at the end of the season.
BBC sources say, Mike Dean will retire at the end of the season. If so, then the Premier League will lose one of the iconic referees.

Mike Dean became one of the senior referees in the Premier League . The man born in Wirral is now 53 years old.

Starting his career from the Northern Premier League, he joined the Premier League in 2000, and has remained until now.

As a referee, Mike Dean is not without controversy when adjudicating a match. Several matches made his name quite memorable.

One of them was when he led the Chelsea vs Arsenal match in the Premier League in 2015. Mike Dean gave Gabriel a red card, after the defender was provoked by Diego Costa.

The red card was quite controversial, because Costa pushed Laurent Koscielny in the face first. Costa also provoked Gabriel, so that his opponent was annoyed and provoked by emotions.

Mike Dean’s decision made Arsenal fans make a petition so that the referee would no longer lead Arsenal’s match. Then the FA itself annulled Gabriel’s red card and turned to punish Costa.

Throughout his career, Mike Dean has officiated more than 800 matches, with his biggest match being the 2010 World Cup Qualifiers.

Citing data from Transfermarkt, Mike Dean has issued 2,975 yellow cards throughout his career, 86 yellow cards led to red cards, and 98 straight red cards. He has also pointed to the white dot 287 times in a match.

stories Horror Premier League referee Mike Dean gets death threats

-Mike Dean decided to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the Premier League . This step was taken by the 52-year-old referee after receiving death threats.
Last week, Dean was known to issue two controversial decisions. First, he sent off Jan Bednarek in the Manchester United vs Southampton match on Tuesday (2/2), which ended with a score of 9-0.

Four days later, he also gave Tomas Soucek a red card in injury time for the Fulham vs West Ham United match , which ended in a goalless draw on Saturday (6/2).

Although Mike Dean had checked the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) before issuing the two decisions, in the end the FA annulled it after Southampton and West Ham appealed.

Those two things are believed to be the main reason Dean became the target of criticism on social media. However, he and his family were also threatened with death. Dean finally reported this to the police.

The body that manages England’s professional football match officials, namely PGMOL, condemned any acts of threat to Dean. They said they would continue to support Dean.

“No one deserves to be a victim of these disgusting messages. Harassment via social media is unacceptable in any aspect of life, and much needs to be done to eradicate this,” he continued.

Mike Dean is reportedly still on duty in the FA Cup fifth round match between Leicester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion, Thursday (11/2) early morning WIB, but for the Premier League match at the weekend, he asked not to be involved first.