Liverpool managed to advance to the Champions League final after beating Villareal 3-2 in the semifinal second leg at Estadio de la Ceramica, Villareal, Spain, Wednesday, May 4, 2022. They escaped with an aggregate score of 5-2 .
Villarreal had a two-goal lead through Boulaye Dia (minute 3) and Francis Coquelin (41). Liverpool responded with goals from Fabinho (62), Luis Diaz (67) and Sadio Mane (74).
They are also entitled to appear in the final which will take place at the Stade de France, Paris, May 28, 2022. The Reds are still waiting for an opponent, between Real Madrid or Manchester City, who will undergo the second leg of the semifinal on Wednesday night.
Check out some facts from this Villarreal vs Liverpool match :
- Liverpool have qualified for the final for the 10th time. They will fight for the Champions League title for the seventh time.
- With this success, Liverpool became the first English club to reach the final of the European Cup/Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup in the same season.
- Liverpool have scored 139 goals in 57 games in all competitions in the 2021-2022 season. This is the highest number of goals in a single season in their history.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold has provided 18 assists in all competitions this season. He only lost to Thomas Muller (21) and Kylian Mbappe (19) in the top five European leagues.
- Sadio Mané celebrates his 15th Champions League knockout goal for Liverpool. He equaled Frank Lampard’s record as the top scorer for a Premier League club in the Champions League knockout stages (15 goals for Chelsea).
- Jurgen Klopp has reached the Champions League final for the fourth time as a coach, equaling the record set by Marcello Lippi, Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelotti.
- Luis Diaz is the difference
Luis Diaz is considered to be the difference in the second match of the Champions League , Villarreal vs Liverpool, Wednesday morning, May 4, 2022. He played a role in helping Liverpool win 3-2 and eventually qualify for the final with a 5-2 aggregate.
Luis Diaz , a 25-year-old winger, came on as a substitute in this match. He came on in the second half, replacing Diogo Jota, when his team were already two goals down.
The Colombian then scored one goal, between Fabinho and Sadio Mane’s goals. A number of observers also praised his role.
Peter Coruch, former striker turned commentator on BT Sport , stated, “Luis Díaz changed the game. From the moment he came in, he was immediately active,” he said.
Former Villarreal player, Robert Pires, has the same opinion. “The England players were, physically, stronger in the second half. After a shaky start, they came back very strong. And let’s emphasize again how Luis Díaz was key in this comeback . He is the difference.”
Luis Diaz was chosen as the best player in this match. The UEFA Panel Team described his role, “He made a huge difference changing games, scoring goals and proving to be a constant threat.”
Luis Diaz was brought in by Liverpool from Porto at the start of this season. He has so far scored 5 goals in 21 matches in various competitions, including two in the Champions League.
Luis Diaz helped Liverpool become the first English club to reach the final of the European Cup/Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup in the same season.