FC Porto beat Santa Clara and reached a milestone in the championship


Dragons equal Benfica’s record of 56 straight games without defeat in I Liga. Fábio Vieira scored twice and it was a calm victory figure that allowed to restore a six-point lead over Sporting.

Closing the 28th round, a record for FC Porto, who did not disarm the leader of the I Liga standings. The blue and whites went 56 games in a row today without losing for the championship (the same as Benfica’s record), with a quiet win over Santa Clara. Fábio Vieira scored twice and Zaidu scored against the old side, with the ‘dragons’ restoring a six-point lead for Sporting, who had beaten Paços de Ferreira at the Alvalade.

All things considered, FC Porto lead with 76 points, six more than Sporting and 15 than Benfica, while Santa Clara, coming off a five-game unbeaten run, are 10th, with 31.

See summary

Sérgio Conceição (suspended) repeated the bet on the eleven that beat Boavista in the last round, with Taremi, then infected with COVID-19, starting from the bench. On the Azorean side, a foot injury kept Morita out of Mário Silva’s choice.

Pressured by Sporting’s win the day before, FC Porto came in, however, less aggressively than expected. In the ninth minute, Evanilson left the first warning, in a shot at Marco and in the 13th minute it was Fábio Vieira’s shot at the far post from the goal.

Otávio and Pepê tried to energize the flanks, with the former leaving the latter in excellent positions to score at 16′ and 28′, but the Azoreans keeper avoided the danger.

The Porto team were less aggressive, but in just three minutes things changed. In the free-kick dropped to the left, everything indicated that Vitinha would shoot at goal, but the number 20 was found midfield looking for a shot by Fábio Vieira (38′), who fired home a powerful shot and set it up for 1-0.

Soon after, Mansur tried to stop Marco but his pass was short and Pepê took the lead, dribbled past the keeper to hit the post. In the rebound, Fábio Vieira shot into an empty net, reaching his seventh goal of the season and his first ‘bus’ for the first team.

FC Porto arrived calmer at half-time and came close to ending the game early in the second half, with Vitinha’s shot deflecting off the post and hitting the post. In the 49th minute Pepe scored, but his position was not regular.

Naga, who saw Uribe leave injured (Grujic coming on), managed the advantage without any major surprises, with the exception of a shot by Ricardinho, the first time shot and at the entrance of the penalty area (it would have been a fine goal), which Diogo Costa responded to with an excellent defense. strong.

Six minutes into the 90s, Pepê isolated himself with a fine pass from Galeno, who just came in, Marco still saved the winger’s shot, but in the rebound Zaidu did not pardon the old team, making it 3-0.